Maison Sophia House
Established in November 1988, Maison Sophia House (formerly Maison Thérèse Dallaire) is a temporary, by referral only, residential facility for newcomers to Canada.
OUR GUIDING PRINCIPLES:
- to be an integral part of the settlement services in the community;
- to be responsive to the needs of the clients;
- to encourage multi-agency support; and
- to include a high level of volunteer support.
PROVIDING SUPPORT FOR NEWCOMERS
During their stay at the Centre, newcomers are provided with more than basic food, shelter, and clothing. They are given the information and counselling they need to begin their new life in Canada.
Maison Sophia House strives to meet the physical, social and psychological needs of newcomers by providing:
- temporary accommodation;
- orientation workshops on life in Canada;
- in-house food services;
- housing search support;
- a multicultural children's program;
- adult basic English classes;
- referrals to government services and community organizations;
- transportation to permanent accommodation;
- assistance with settling into a new home; and
- home visits / life skills support.
SERVING A CULTURALLY DIVERSE POPULATION
By providing for the basic needs of newcomers in their flight from starvation, war, violence or political turmoil and by creating an educational and supportive environment, the Centre dramatically cuts the time needed by newcomers to become settled and self-sufficient in their new community.
Staffed 24 hours daily with twenty-four rooms that accommodate a maximum of 96 people, the Centre provides complete food services, common lounge areas and laundry facilities, as well as a warm and friendly environment where newcomers can feel safe and welcome.
For more information please contact:
Catholic Centre for Immigrants, Ottawa at (613) 232-9634.